CMI Prerequisites for Other Languages
At this time, the National Board only offers certification in Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, and Vietnamese. There are no oral exams available in other languages. There is no credential for passing the written exam. If you pass the written exam, you will not receive a CMI credential; you will receive an official letter on National Board letterhead, stating that you have passed the written exam, that there is no oral exam available at this time, and that should an oral exam become available at some time in the future, you are approved to take that exam.
1) Minimum Age: 18 years - A driver’s license or a birth certificate or passport copy are acceptable proofs of age.
3) Medical Interpreter Education: All candidates must submit proof of training specific to medical interpreting. You must submit either:
- a Certificate of Completion from a medical interpreter training course of at least 40 hours
- a transcript from a college or university where you took at least 3 credit hours of medical interpreting coursework.
Note: The interpreter training required for admission to the CMI program is training in medical interpreting. That requirement cannot be waived for anyone, regardless of how much other training and experience they have. Even doctors have the same prerequisite requirements as all other candidates.
3) Medical Interpreter Education: Minimum 40-hours course - A Certificate of Completion is the only acceptable proof of medical interpreter education.
4) Oral proficiency in English:
One of the following:
- Bachelor, Masters, PhD, or any other degree from any US institution of higher education.
- Graduation from any high school, college, or university from an English language country or from an American School abroad.
- One of the following tests (subject to change):
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): 570+ on paper; 230+ on computer version; 90+ on iBT.
- ELPT (English Language Proficiency Test): 950+
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) 80+
- ECPE (Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English): PASS
- FCE (First Certificate in English, Level 3): A
- CAE (Certificate in Advanced English, Level 4): B
- CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English, Level 5): B
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 7.0
5) Oral proficiency in the target language:
One of the following:
- Bachelor, Masters, PhD, or any other degree from an institution of higher education where the target language is spoken
- Graduation from a high school of the country where the target language is spoken
- 24+ semester college credit hours of the target language
- ACTFL Oral Exams (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages): Advanced Mid Level (follow this link www.languagetesting.com) - both the OPI (telephonic) and OPIc (computer recording) are acceptable.
Please click here to register.