The National Board Written Exam covers the knowledge areas required to get certified. The Exam is in English and costs $175 (all major credit cards are accepted, except AMEX).
The knowledge areas to be tested are:
- Medical Terminology in Working Languages (38%) - not translation of terms, but understanding of terminology - in English
- Medical Specialties in Working Languages (23%)
- Medical Interpreter Ethics (15%)
- Roles of the Medical Interpreter (8%)
- Cultural Competence (3%)
- Interpreter Standards of Practice (5%)
CHIA Standards of Practice
IMIA Standards of Practice
NCIHC Standards of Practice
- Legislation and Regulations (3%)
Please refer to the CMI Candidate Handbook (www.certifiedmedicalinterpreters.org/candidate_handbook) for more details.
Passing Score: 75%
The following two options are available for taking the written exam:
- Take the exam from your own home or office with an online proctor.
- Take the exam at a testing site close to you.
The National Board offers online proctoring to accommodate candidates who live far from testing sites or need to schedule their exam in the evenings or on weekends. Complete the following four steps in order to schedule your written exam with an online proctor:
- Determine whether the computer you’ll be using meets the system requirements.
- Register with ProctorU.
- Pay for the written exam.
- Schedule your exam with ProctorU
In order to take your written exam with an online proctor, the computer that you’ll be using needs to meet the following requirements:
1. Reliable internet connection
3. Headset with a microphone
ProctorU has a system check to make sure that your computer meets the minimum requirements. You can access that here: http://www.proctoru.com/tech.php Just click on the image of the computer that is below the ‘Equipment Test’ heading on the right side of your screen. If you’re unable to pass the system check with ProctorU, please give them a call at 855-772-8678 to see how they can help you.
Register with ProctorU
If you were able to complete the system check, please register with ProctorU by clicking on the following link:
Pay for your exam
After registering with ProctorU, please use the following link to pay for your exam:
- Include your email address when you fill out the payment form so you will receive a receipt.
- When it asks for an ID number leave it blank.
You may pay for the exam online with a credit card – all major cards are accepted except Amex. Once you make payment, our staff will assign you an exam, after which you’ll be able to schedule your exam date.
Schedule with ProctorU
ProctorU allows you to schedule your exam 7 days a week during the time that is most convenient for you. Scheduling is easy; simply follow the instructions from ProctorU. Keep in mind that the soonest you'll be able to take your oral exam is 72 hours from when you log on to schedule it.
Candidates who do not pass the test can reapply after three months; there is a maximum of two attempts per year, per person.
For questions, please contact staff [at] certifiedmedicalinterpreters [dot] org