The National Board Written Exam covers the knowledge areas required to receive any of the three credentials available to medical interpreters. The Exam is in English and costs $175 (all major credit cards are accepted, except AMEX).
The knowledge areas to be tested are:
- Medical Terminology in Working Languages (38%) - not translation of terms, but understanding of terminology - in English
- Medical Specialties in Working Languages (23%)
- Medical Interpreter Ethics (15%)
- Roles of the Medical Interpreter (8%)
- Cultural Competence (3%)
- Interpreter Standards of Practice (5%)
CHIA Standards of Practice
IMIA Standards of Practice
NCIHC Standards of Practice
- Legislation and Regulations (3%)
Please refer to the CMI Candidate Handbook (www.certifiedmedicalinterpreters.org/candidate_handbook) for more details.
Passing Score: 75%
TESTING SITES: To see a list of testing sites across the country, click here. You will be able to schedule your exam for the date and time of your choice once your application has been reviewed and approved.
Candidates who do not pass the test can reapply after three months; there is a maximum of two attempts per year, per person.
For questions, please contact info [at] certifiedmedicalinterpreters [dot] org