- About Us
- Get Certified/Qualified
In order to start the certification process, candidates need to register and pay online and demonstrate that they meet the prerequisites criteria. Please refer to the instuctions below before registering.
To complete the registration process you must complete the following steps:
1) Complete and submit the application ONLINE (click on the button shown below - but make sure you FIRST read all instructions; this will save you time later!).
You must register with the name that is on your government issued ID that will be used for identification when you go to take the exams. When you contact the National Board, please use the same name as the one you registered with and the same email address.
2) Pay the registration fee of $35. online via credit card (major credit cards accepted except AMEX) - do NOT mail a personal check.
NOTE: The registration fee is not refundable.
When you pay by credit card and do not receive a payment receipt, contact staff [at] certifiedmedicalinterpreters [dot] org Do not try to register again as it will create duplicate accounts. Re-check the billing address for your credit card. If the address you submitted on the payment page does not match the billing address, the payment will be denied.
- OREGON RESIDENTS - PLEASE READ THIS: If you are a resident of Oregon and are testing in a language other than Spanish, you do not have to pay the registration fee, thanks to a grant from your state. Please fill out the form with all mandatory fields completed, then click "no" when asked "will you pay online" and then proceed to click "agree" and then "submit." You will then be taken to a page that shows payment options (e.g. credit card) which you can safely ignore. When you land on that page asking for payment (credit card) information, you can safely close the window of your browser. If you are a resident of Oregon and are testing in Spanish you need to pay the registration fee.
3) After registering online and paying the registration fee, a staff member will contact you and ask that you submit your supporting documentation directly to them.
4) Be sure you include your email address when you fill out the payment form so you will get the receipt and keep it for your records. Check your SPAM if you do not get a receipt - the subject line is "Your Order at National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters."
5) Candidates are encouraged to take the written exam as soon as possible after registering. You have six months to take the exam. If a candidate waits more than a year from the time they take the written exam to request the oral exam or to retake the written exam, they will be charged a $35. reregistration fee.
Please refer to the CMI Candidate Handbook (www.certifiedmedicalinterpreters.org/candidate_handbook) for complete information.
Click this button to start the registration process:
If an applicant is informed of the denial of proof of prerequisites, during the registration process or ability to sit for the exam during the registration process, they may appeal this decision.
The appeal should include:
- An appeal letter from applicant containing why you believe the decision was wrong. Specific information based on facts to show that the exam should be administered.
- A letter from your supervisor addressing specifics regarding your experience and why they believe you should sit for the exam.
- Any other pertinent information from your employer/professor.
The appeal process should be sent to staff [at] certifiedmedicalinterpreters [dot] org
Disclosure: All the registration information provided by the candidate will be kept confidential. The information will be kept on the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters site.