The credentialing process is a multistep process that needs to be completed in order to receive one of the credentials.
Please refer to the CMI Candidate Handbook (www.certifiedmedicalinterpreters.org/candidate_handbook) for complete details.
The process is going to be as follows:
Step 1. Register to start the process. The cost is $30 and is nonrefundable. This fee is waived for Oregon residents due to a grant from your state.
Step 2. Request to take the National Board Written Exam. The exam is in English and costs $170 (all major credit cards are accepted, except AMEX).
Step 3. Request the Oral Exams being offered per specific non-English working language, the cost is $250 for the oral performance exam, $235 for Oregon residents:
- Apply to take the National Board Oral Exam to obtain the Certified Medical Interpreter (CMI) credential
- Apply to take the National Board Qualification Exam to obtain the Qualified Medical Interpreter (QMI) credential
- Apply to undergo the National Board Portfolio Review to obtain the Screened Medical Interpreter (SMI) credential
Step 4. Re-certification to maintain credential obtained active.
For questions, please contact info [at] certifiedmedicalinterpreters [dot] org
1. Complete onliine registration (one time registration)
2. Notified of approval/denial or of further documentation needed (2-4 weeks)
3. Take written exam - immediate notification of pass of fail - and if pass, instructions for scheduling the oral exam
4. Take oral exam and notified if pass or fail via email (8-10 weeks)